Truck 6 . Truck 6 returns to service after returning the 2017 Pierce Arrow XT due to recalls.
Truck 6 was part of a trial that would later establish the Castle Beach tiller spec. The placement of tools and equipment on this rig would serve as the model for future truck companies.
The first compartment stores the Holmatro extraction equipment and the Onan generator.
Many components seen here remain the standard for many of Castle Beach Fire Dept tractor drawn aerials.
The street side of the apparatus stores truck company tools including forcible entry equipment, saws, and a variety of tarps for salvage and overhaul operations.
Two gas powered fans and traffic cones are stored underneath the 24 ft extension ladder.
The ladder tunnels stores the majority of the ground ladders carried on the rig.
The tillerman can access the cab from the curbside of the apparatus. His gear and equipment are stored on this side as well.
The curbside of the apparatus stores rescue equipment such as cribbing and airbags.
The compartment just behind the cab stores medical equipment and tools used most often such as forcible entry tools and a thermal imaging camera.
Truck 6 formerly served as Truck 4 (from 1995-2000), Truck 8 (from 2000-2005) and Reserve Truck 502 (from 2005-2018), until it was pressed back into frontline service in 2018.
Truck 6 is back in service! After the 2017 Pierce Arrow XT was returned due to recalls, Castle Beach Fire Department opted to bring back one of the reserve tillers to frontline duty once it returned from a brief refurbishment. Despite its age, the Spartan tiller remains a crew favorite due to its ease of use. Originally ordered during a trial phase, the design of this tiller would play a major role in the setting the Castle Beach tiller spec. The twin of this rig would also serve as a test truck, but was moved to ready reserve status almost immediately. Truck 6 will now operate this 1995 Spartan/LTI tiller for the foreseeable future until the next batch of tillers is ordered.
Truck 6 Technical Specs:
1995 Spartan Gladiator/LTI 100 tiller
Code 3 lighting
B&M Super Chief siren
Motorola Spectra siren
Grover air horns
241 ft of ground ladders
Holmatro Extraction Equipment
Onan 20 kW on-board generator
Vanair Pro 185-cfm air compressor
The officer's side was structured to carry truck company equipment, while the drivers side was designed to store rescue tools.
In addition, the apparatus carries 241 ft. of ground ladders. The complement consists of extension ladders, wall ladders, and roof ladders. The extension ladder complement consists of one 35 ft. ladder, one 14 ft. ladder, one 12 ft ladder, and one collapsible 10 ft. ladder. The wall ladder complement includes two 24 ft. ladders, two 20 ft. ladders, and two 16 ft. ladders. The roof ladder complement has one 20 ft. ladder, one 16 ft. ladder, and two 12 ft. ladders.
Listed are some of the major tools carried by Truck 6:
- (3) Temptest Ventmaster chain saws
- (2) Partner K12-950 rotary saws
- Electric chain saw
- Electric circular saw
- Electric Milwaukee Sawzall
- (2) Dewalt Battery Reciprocating saws
- Dewalt Battery drill
- Dewalt Battery circular saw
- Tempest 18 electric ppv fan (16,800 cfm)
- Lifejack 18 gas ppv fan (18,000 cfm)
- 16 electric fan
Rapid Intervention Team:
- RIT tool bag
- RIT scba bag
- RIT rescue rope
- (5) 9x12 salvage covers
- (1) Floor runner cover
- (2) Salvage tubs
- (2) AFFF extinguishers
- (2) Dry chemical extinguishers
- CO2 extinguisher
- (2) Water extinguishers
- (6) 200' rescue rope
- (2) 300' rescue rope
- (4) Full body harnesses
- (2) Rigging bags, each containing:
- (20) 20' webbing
- (20) Prussics (assorted sizes)
- (20) steel carabiners
- (2) gibbs ascenders
- rigging plate
- brake bar rack
- Full body harness
- (2) 3/8 double sheave pulley
- (2) 4 inch pulleys (prussic minded)
- (4) 3 inch single pulleys
Homatro Jaws of Life Hydraulic Rescue System:
- PPU 15 power plant (220V)
- DPU 30 power plant (220V)
- 32 Holmatro hydraulic hose reels
- SP 5260 32 spreader (112,400 lbs)
- TR 4340 C Telescopic Ram (48,780 lbs)
- TR 4350 C Telescopic Ram (48,780 lbs)
- CU 5050 cutter (317,430 lbs)
- CU 4035 C NCT cutter (79,810 lbs)
- CU 4055 C NCT cutter (228,900 lbs)
- HRS22 Ram Support
- Various accessories
- (10) 6x6's
- (4) 6x6 wedges
- (25) 2x4's
- (4) 4x4x36's
- (46) 4x4's
- (20) 4x4 wedges
- (4) Step-chocks
- (2) Hi-lift jacks
- (2) Junkyard Dog Nightmare struts
- (2) Junkyard Dog G-Force struts
- (10) Steel pickets
- (2) Enerpac P392 manual hydraulic pumps
- Enerpac spreader
- (2) 25-Ton hydraulic bottle jacks
- (2) 10-Ton bottle jacks
- (2) 1.5 Ton Com-a-long
- .75 Ton Com-a-long
- (6) 3/8 chain 10ft
- (4) 3/8" chain - 20ft
- Chain shorteners and hooks
Paratech Maxiforce Air Bags:
- KPI-1 ton airbag (6x6)
- (2) KPI-5 ton airbags (10x10)
- (2) KPI-8 ton airbags (12x12)
- KPI-12 ton airbag (15x15)
- (2) KPI-22 ton airbags (20x20)
- (2) KPI-32 ton airbags (24x24)
- KPI-44 ton airbag (28x28)
- (2) KPI-55 ton airbag (32x32)
- KPI-74 ton airbag (37x37)
Total: 375 tons
-Paratech Air Source Cart (160 cuft of air)
-Paratech Airgun 40
-Paratech Pakhammer 90
-Pneumatic cut-off saw
David H for the functional compartments
Paulo R for the turntable design and cord reel
Abeed M and Jeff B for their big time assist with the decals
Arcadia Fire Dept Truck 705
Newport Beach Fire Dept Truck 62