An alternate of 31034 - Future Flier. A multi-vehicle landing ship.
About this creation
The spider scout ship is really named the SRX-3/5-Z. However the distinctive shaping of the roller cage on the roof of the ship gave it the more catchy nickname.
It is a manned ship, designed for safe scouting of potential mining and colony planets.
- Main body (codename Webslinger) , capable of orbiting, landing and liftoff of planets with gravities between 0.5g and 3g.
- Flier Scout (codename Wasp) cabale of flying in any atmosphere with more than half-earth pressure. The flier can be flown manned or remote-controlled, and is where the pilot sits when landing or taking off.
- Roller Scout (codename Spiderling) . An all terrain vehicle with a sensor apparatus which doubles as microwave antenna on its back. The roller can also be manned, but will most likely be sent with remote control into hostile environments.
- The rocket boosters can be repositioned for landing or takeoff.
- The "spider cage" locks onto the roller scout, and can be used to lift it during flight for emergency extractions.
- The arches in the back of the ship are bays for two escape pods (the red pegs), one on each side. If your ship falls and shatters, I am sure you will see these pegs fly out beautifully ;) please don't try this on purpose.
I took special care with the PDF instructions (which you can find here) on this one, and my 6.5-year-old was very excited to test them. I am grateful for any comments, both technical and design-oriented. This design took me the better part of 3 days, so I want it to be good. My 6.5-year-old built it in under an hour with the PDF instructions. All the functions work, making a versatile and playable model.
I was inspired to buiild this when my son asked to rebuild an old alternate of this set - this spaceship, which has a lander. I thought, this time around, I will focus on the landing ship instead of the orbital platform.