A huge tugboat with an experimental motor. It is made for testing and experimental purposes only.
About this creation
After not uploading for over a month, I decided to throw something back onto MOCpages. I recently acquired two brand-new boat motors recently and decided to make something with 4 of them. I was experimenting with a lot of motor configurations, some which may be uploaded, and others include different propellers. I had the Deep Sea Exploration Vessel hull unoccupied, so I used it to make this MONSTER of a model. The boat is a ridiculous concept, but I thought it was pretty interesting. I didn't go all out on detail since this is only a testing rig.
The massive propulsion unit attached to the boat. If you have seen one of my very old models, (I doubt anyone reading this has) I used this hull to make a single-screw motorized tug. The mount idea is the same from the older boat, but it is much sturdier to handle the 1 pound motor. The "drain" details near the pontoons has a 2x4 opening to mount the motor. The motor is so heavy that the boat can't stand on the motor or it will break off under the weight.
Here is the gigantic motor unit. As you can see, the tube rudders which were included are removed.
If they must be replaced, they are stored in the "engine" room in the hull underneath the wheelhouse deck. I did this since with all 4 of the tubes next to each other completely phased out steering. To create a dead simple steering system, I made two beams between two propeller sets and made vertical shaft connectors with a hinge hull piece. (more of a rudder) It works great, but the tube rudders increased power. It was either more power or steering, so steering was the best choice just for more function. The HUGE problem with this HUGE unit is starting it. I couldn't make the motors spaced, since this would not fit in between the pontoons. The motor is held together with two Technic beams which fits in the motor mount shafts and uses a plate to hold it. A somewhat shoddy plate system holds the motors from swinging on the keels. Starting it is incredibly difficult, since the battery cones scrape against each other and flexes the entire module. After it is started, the plate system has to be pressed back in place to ensure that the motors don't swing in the pin hole mounts. This motor is a ton of fun to mess around with though.