A small hardware update for one of my oldest MOCs. I have made a separate rudder shaft for it.
About this creation
As you may know, I use the orange motors a lot in my models. Like, a LOT. Over time, the notches that hold the rudder in place wear out and the gray venturi rudder becomes useless. I have discovered that removing the rudder greatly increases the motor's performance by reducing propeller "drag" and thrust drag. This makes the propeller throw out as much thrust as possible, which in turn makes the boat very responsive to scratch-built rudders like the one shown. The boats still need steering, so building a rudder isn't very difficult. Usually I just use a bar and some old panels from Coast Guard life dinghies. Onto the model. This boat is the very first model I have ever posted on MOCpages, a while back in March. I decided to dig it out and clean off the 10-inch thick layer of dust from it and update it. A long time ago, the boat was very fun to run since it was ridiculously fast and maneuverable. (Back then it still used its venturi rudder) I built up the new high-power rudder system to give this old thing a little more kick.
Here is the rudder assembly. One of my other mocs is a motorization unit for brick/plate hulls, and I have just robbed the rudder shaft and 90 degree pin bushing and built a shaft for it. It connects to the rear pin on the motor, but it isn't very strong and has to be installed half-way.
It sure is powerful though, it is completely anti-drag since nothing is in the way of the prop and the rudder and shaft is far from the prop.