This is a 1925 Ahrens-Fox N-S-4 Triple combination pumping engine. It has a 1000 gpm piston pump.
About this creation
In 1917 Ahrens-Fox introduced its Model N pumping engines. These had a rated capacity of 1000 gpm and used a four-piston front-mounted pump. The distinctive spherical silver ball above the pump is an air chamber. It helps dampen the pulsations caused by the piston pump. Model N apparatus were powered by a 110-horsepower six-cylinder engine.
Early Model N pumpers had chain drives. Starting in 1921 Model N pumpers had shaft drives and the letter S was added to the model designation. This example has steel disc wheels, which were uncommon for 1925. The last Model N pumper was built in 1935. In all, about 291 Model N pumpers were built.
The suffix number in the type name of an Ahrens-Fox pumper identifies the features of the apparatus. The designation of 4 signified a pumping engine and hose car with a booster tank.
The Ahrens-Fox Fire Engine Company of Cincinnati, Ohio, was active in the motor fire apparatus industry from 1910 to 1956. It is among the greatest names in the history of motor fire apparatus. Ahrens-Fox apparatus are highly prized by collectors. A significant number of Foxes are in the hands of collectors and museums.